Perry: Ongoing felony case won't delay 2016 preparations

In this Jan. 15, 2015 file photo, Gov. Rick Perry addresses a joint session of the Texas Legislature, in Austin, Texas (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry says an ongoing felony abuse-of-power case against him won't delay his preparations for a possible 2016 presidential run.

The Republican said Wednesday "we're moving right along as expected" and mentioned visiting Iowa and South Carolina this week.

A day earlier, a Texas judge refused to quash two indictments against Perry on constitutional grounds. Perry's defense team has promised a swift appeal.

At issue is Perry's threat and subsequent carrying out a veto of state funding for public corruption prosecutors in 2013.

Perry says he'd issue the veto again if given the chance, saying he's "proud to stand for the rule of law."

Perry was Texas' longest-serving governor and left office last week. He plans to announce a possible White House run in May or June.
Related Topics:
politicsrick perrypresidential race
(Copyright ©2018 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)