- 1 1/2 cup Rum
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 pineapple
1.Cut the pineapple into small chunks and place them in a bowl with the rum and brown sugar and let soak. (Best if you let them soak the night before.)
Pineapple Rum Cake
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 6 oz butter
- 2 cup sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Cream the butter, shortening and sugar in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until smooth.
2. Add the egg yolks and vanilla to the mixture and continue to cream.
3. Add half of the flour as well as the salt and baking soda, making sure you scrape down the bottom of the bowl.
4. Once the batter is well incorporated add the buttermilk, once its fully mixed in add the rest of the flour. Scrape one more time.
5. Place the cake batter in a separate mixing bowl and wash out the mixer and dry off completely. Then place your egg whites in the bowl and whip until soft peel.
6. Fold the egg whites into the cake batter and spread on a half sheet pan lined and sprayed with non-stick.
7. Once batter is evenly spread on the sheet pan sprinkle on the brown sugar and previously soaked pineapple chunks. Place in over on 325F and bake for 10 minutes, rotate the cake and bake for another 6 to 10 minutes.