Seven students ingested the drug at Peach Creek Elementary School on Thursday morning, and two additional students were involved in the incident. The seven students were taken to the hospital by their parents, but they did not display any symptoms.
A teacher who heard other students talking about the incident in the hallway alerted authorities.
"This is a teachable moment for both us as a school district and for parents at home to make sure that you are monitoring your medication and make sure that your kids understand the dangers of taking something that they may not know what it is," said superintendent Jeff Burke. "As far as the school district goes, we are going to continue to be hyper-vigilant and make sure that we are keeping our students safe."
It's not clear what kind of drugs were distributed.
No other details have been released.
Full statement from district officials:
Parents, today an incident occurred on one of our elementary campuses where a student brought prescription medication from home and distributed it to several classmates. This incident was isolated and all students affected are being monitored by medical professionals. We commend the elementary staff for responding so quickly to identify the students affected and for contacting their parents. The safety of our students is our top priority and we ask for your help in speaking with your child about the dangers of taking any unknown substance. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this situation.
Report a typo to the ABC13 staff