'Special master' to be appointed to review evidence in Robert Durst murder trial

Robert Durst is shown during a second hearing for his murder trial in a Los Angeles courtroom on Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2016. (KABC)

A judge agreed to appoint a "special master" to review evidence in the murder trial of real estate heir and former fugitive Robert Durst Wednesday.

Durst appeared at the hearing and sat in a wheelchair. The 73-year-old faces one count of first-degree murder in the 2000 execution-style killing of his friend, Susan Berman.

During his hearing, defense attorneys said they used warrants to obtain documents that were prompted by the six-part HBO documentary series Durst was part of. "The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst" looked at his life and accusations against him for multiple crimes.

In the final moments of the last episode, Durst was caught on a live mic saying, "There it is. You're caught! What the hell did I do? Killed them all, of course."

Another hearing is scheduled for Jan. 6 to discuss a request to conduct advanced videotaped depositions as some witnesses feel threatened by Durst.

On Monday, Durst entered a not guilty plea. Prosecutors said they did not intend to seek the death penalty against him.

Earlier this year, he pleaded guilty to weapons charges in New Orleans and was already serving a seven-year prison sentence before being extradited to Los Angeles for the murder trial.

City News Service contributed to this report.
Related Topics:
robert durstcourttrialmurderHBOLos AngelesLos Angeles County
(Copyright ©2018 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)