Passerby saves dog from burning SUV

EMBED </>More Videos

A family dog survived a car fire, thanks to a good Samaritan. (KTRK)

A North Carolina family is grateful a stranger stepped in to save their dog.

The Hilton family's SUV caught fire while they were inside a restaurant in Asheville on Monday morning.

Their dog, Abby, was trapped inside the burning vehicle.

RELATED: College students seek to save Houston's street dogs

Chad Reiginter saw the smoke and the dog, and knew exactly what to do.

"I just grabbed my pocket knife and started smashing windows, and I tried to reach the dog through the first window and he wouldn't come out, so I just started smashing windows and all of a sudden he ran out the back window and took off," Reiginter said.

RELATED: The most funny and heartwarming animal stories of 2016

The Hiltons believe wiring in the SUV caught fire, sparking the blaze.
Related Topics:
u.s. & worldanimal rescueNorth Carolina
(Copyright ©2018 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.)