SPRING, TX (KTRK) -- Toxic levels of mold spores have been detected inside the temporary trailer that was being used to house firefighters at Station 75, located at 3915 FM 2920. As a result, firefighters will no longer be staffed at the station.
It's not the first time firefighters have been forced to leave their firehouse because of mold. Last year, air quality tests revealed hazardous levels of mold spores inside the firehouse, after firefighters began reporting symptoms associated with mold exposure.
"Some of the firefighters were complaining of a sore throat at the end of their shift," said Deputy Fire Chief Shannon Stryk.
Chief Stryk says that, while responding firefighters will now have to come from home or work before Engine 75 can leave the firehouse, he's not worried about delayed response times.
"We're not anticipating any significant drop in service. The average response time from this station is 6:55. That's from dispatch to on-scene," Chief Stryker said, adding, "75 is one of our busier units and our response time here is below the national standard."
The Spring Volunteer Fire Department consists of full-time, part-time, and volunteer firefighters. The department operates a total of eight fire stations, four of which are staffed 24/7 with firefighters at any given time.
Firefighters rotate between stations every other month. Volunteers respond from home and work to stations that are not staffed round the clock. The department covers roughly 109 square miles of homes and property from Tomball to Humble.
The Chief says that Station 75 will be torn down and a new station will be built on the adjacent property within the next year.