Man accused in grandma's murder faces Houston judge

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 21-year-old man accused in the murder of his own grandmother appeared emotionless in court this morning.

Nathan Billingsley had a vacant expression on his face during his first court appearance.

On Sunday, deputies discovered the body of Hazel Billingsley inside a metal shed in Cypress.

She had been shot several times, and her body was wrapped inside a blue and green blanket.

EMBED More News Videos

Nathan Billingsley is charged in the death of his own grandmother in Cypess

This morning, we heard even more details about what detectives saw and heard that day.

Nathan's uncle Sonny was there, and said his nephew had threatened to kill Hazel Billingsley and his mother.

Investigators said the suspect's girlfriend, Renee Sandy, alleges that Nathan had plotted to kill them and then run away.

Woman's family says texts show grandson planned to kill her
EMBED More News Videos

Family members of a man charged with the murder of his grandmother are not so sure the death was an accident.

Nathan was allegedly loading items into his grandmother's car on Sunday when his family came to check on Hazel. That is when his family says Nathan ran into the woods.

Deputies said when the family tried to get inside the home, they found blood on the floor and called 911.

They made a gruesome discovery when one of the family members reportedly saw toes sticking out of the blanket in the shed.

When deputies unwrapped that blue and green blanket, they saw Hazel's body and what appeared to be gunshot wounds.

ORIGINAL REPORT: Deputies discover grandmother dead at Cypress home
EMBED More News Videos

Grandson accused of murdering his grandmother in Cypress, police say.

Deputies found Nathan and his girlfriend hiding out in the woods. Nathan was allegedly armed with a gun.

Investigators said Nathan confessed to shooting his grandmother, but said it was an accident, that the gun somehow went off twice.

An autopsy shows Hazel Billingsley was shot from about 18 inches away, a much shorter distance than the five or six feet that Nathan allegedly claimed to detectives.

The Billingsley family was not in court this morning, but says they will be in attendance in the future.

They have started a Gofundme account to help raise money for funeral costs.

VIDEO: 21-year-old charged in grandmother's murder in Cypress
EMBED More News Videos

Nathan Billingsley is expected to face a judge later this morning

Meantime, yesterday we learned Nathan Billingsley was on suicide watch. It was not clear whether he is still being monitored.

His bond is still set at $200,000.

As a condition of his bond, he is to have no contact with Renee Sandy and his mother Melanie.

Report a typo to the ABC13 digital staff

Copyright © 2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.