Dog alerts family to escape house fire in Clear Lake

CLEAR LAKE, TX (KTRK) -- A dog is being called a hero after he helped his family escape a house fire in Clear Lake.

The fire started around 3am at a home on Heron Field Court near Space Center Boulevard.

A man, a woman and teenage daughter were all asleep when the fire broke out. The homeowner said they heard their German Shepherd mix, Lupo, barking, which woke them up.

"I noticed flames, smoke coming out of the garage," Kevin MacMillan said.

The fire started in the garage and spread to the house. At one point, firefighters stayed outside the home for fear the roof could cave in.

"The house is probably going to be a loss," Kevin said.

They were all able to get out safely.

Denia MacMillan said they had rescued Lupo from a shelter three years ago.

"I rescued him. I found him on the street," Denia said.

"He rescued y'all," our ABC13 photographer said.

"Then he rescued us. We are blessed to have him," Denia said. null
Copyright © 2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.