CO detector leads to discovery of 2 kids home alone; mother arrested

UPPER DARBY, PA -- It started as a call about a carbon monoxide leak. But when crews went to check it out they say they found two children inside a home living in awful conditions.

The rowhome on the 7000 block of Guilford Road in Upper Darby has been declared unfit for human habitation.

The woman who lives there, 29-year-old Christina Wright, has been charged with endangering the welfare of her children.

Around 10:00 Wednesday night, the next door neighbors called 911 when their CO detector went off.

After checking that home, firefighters and police went next door and found the front door open.

The home had no heat, and the oven was turned on as a source of warmth.

Upstairs a space heater was on in a room filled with clothing and papers.

In a back bedroom police found a 7-year-old girl and her 4-year-old brother. She told police her mom was at work and she was babysitting.

Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood says, "The house was declared a fire hazard by the police department because of the oven being used as a source of heat and the space heater. And it was so dirty and so filthy in there that the health department shut it down as unfit for human habitation."

The children were taken to police headquarters, and when mom arrived she was arrested.

Neighbors called the entire incident a shame.

Chris Right of Upper Darby says, "I don't even know what to think about that. That's scary. I mean, I have kids of my own, so it's scary."

Firefighters detected low levels of carbon monoxide in the home - likely from the oven running.

The children were unharmed and they are now in the care of a relative while children's services looks into their wellbeing.

Christina Wright was arraigned and released on $30,000 unsecured bail. null
Copyright © 2019 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.