Dog helps save woman from apartment fire in SW Houston

EMBED </>More Videos

Dog saves woman from apartment fire in southwest Houston.

Investigators say the fire that ripped through a southwest Houston apartment complex has now been ruled accidental. A Houston Fire Department spokesperson tells Eyewitness News they've determined someone left something on a stove.

HFD called 2 alarms for firefighters to respond to the complex in the 7800 block of Corporate at about 10am. At least one resident went door to door knocking, trying to get everyone out. "Take a wallet, a pair of shoes and that's it," said Axel Negron in describing to us the speed with which he was forced to evacuate.

Skyeye video from the scene:
EMBED More News Videos

2-alarm apartment fire in southwest Houston on Corporate Drive

Somehow no one was hurt. In all, six units burned, according to the American Red Cross, forcing 10 people from their homes.

Larisha Joubert says she and her roommate live right next door to the apartment where the fire appears to have started. She opened her door only after her their dog started scratching at it. "When I opened it, I just saw all the flames and smoke coming my way. I had to hurry up and slam my door so it don't come inside the house," said Joubert.

They got out, and so did the dog.

Fire crews rescued several dogs from the burning building. Somehow there was no one injured.

Lariusha Joubert describved her dog for us and we located it wandering nearby on the apartment property. You can watch video of their reunion.

The dog's name is Marley. She's pregnant. The puppies due any day now. She's clearly happy to have found her humans.

Joubert says Marley may have saved their lives.

Several residents say there were not working smoke detectors inside their apartments.

Related Topics:
firefire rescuedogHouston
(Copyright ©2018 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)