The owners of Boogie, a 1-year-old Yorkipoo, or Yorkshire terrier-poodle mix, said the dog got into a package of batteries last Thursday. By the time they noticed, 10 batteries were missing.
They rushed Boogie to NHVS Hospital. The batteries Boogie ate showed up clear as day on an X-ray.
According to veterinarians at NHVS, inducing vomiting to get the batteries out was too risky to Boogie because if the positive and negative polices touch the lining of the esophagus, they could leave burns. Vets were also concerned that
Boogie's stomach acid could actually break down the batteries, causing harmful acid to be released.
That's when vets, along with Boogie's owners, decided to opt for surgery. And we're happy to say the procedure went well, and Boogie was back home by Sunday...and without the batteries.