The principal initially called 911 to report a gas leak after five students reported feeling sick. The school was evacuated and HFD tested the air, but found no gas leak.
Students and staff went back inside the building, but then evacuated for a second time when more students fell ill.
According to HFD, more than 50 students were taken to various hospitals as a precaution. Some reported headaches, feeling weak, nausea and vomiting, and in some cases, anxiety or asthma attacks.
Hazmat has cleared and released the building in the 1900 block of Cleburne. No hazards were found. More than 40 students were transported to various hospitals. @HoustonFire— Houston Fire Dept (@HoustonFire) March 1, 2018
It's now believed fumes from hot tar being used in nearby roof work got into the school. Parents were called to pick up students from school.