HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- It's been two years since Maleah Davis was allegedly killed by her mother's boyfriend in southwest Houston.
Maleah was supposed to grow up in the Kirkwood Landing Apartments area.
"Her nickname was 'Pretty-Pretty.' She was pretty from her head to her toes," said Craig Davis, her paternal grandfather. "Anybody who ever met her or was around her knows she didn't deserve this. No child deserves to go through what she went through."
On May 27, Derion Vence admitted to hitting the 4-year-old with his hand and another object.
Court documents show Vence also admitted to restricting her airways and, when she fell to the floor, he said he provided no help.
"I ain't no killer, bro," Vence told ABC13's Chauncy Glover back in June 2019. "Chauncy, I loved Maleah so much. I did for her more than her own parents. I never had a biological daughter. I would never do anything to hurt her. That's not me. Ask anyone who knows me, and they'll tell you I'm not that type of dude and I was good with the kids."
Vence has been sentenced to 40 years in prison.
"Ain't enough time in the day," Davis said, shaking his head. "Justice was not served."
Apartment managers presented Maleah's family with pieces of a mural dedicated to her.
"I was hurt. I feel like it was not enough," said Sonia Parker, an activist. "The justice I wanted for him was the death penalty. I have no pity on people that harm kids, none."
"We always just want Maleah to know that she has family outside of her family -- her community family," added Joe Dinnon, also an activist.
So many who live in the area still think of Maleah often.
"We all knew her. She's our baby girl and always will be. It seems like yesterday," said Jaemy Oliva, who works at the apartment complex.
- Church prays for suspect to confess what happened to Maleah
- Donors kick in $10K more to help find Maleah Davis
- Protesters gather again as family seeks new home for Maleah Davis' siblings
- Mom of missing Maleah Davis makes bombshell allegations against her ex-fiance
- Maleah Davis' mother: 'I want to hope that she is (still alive)'
- Protesters accuse missing girl's mom of not doing enough to protect her
- MALEAH DAVIS: Suspect's dad points finger at missing girl's mom
- Maleah Davis case leaves community with broken hearts
- Car belonging to Maleah Davis' family appears 'normal', yields no clues to her disappearance
- Missing 4-year-old girl removed last year by CPS: Officials
- Suspect's mother won't ask son for Maleah Davis' whereabouts