HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- As Mariam Ramirez and her family try to salvage what's left of their Parker Road home, she says she's just thankful her family got out in time.
Mariam, her husband Salvador, and their two young children, 3-year-old Noel, and 2-year-old Catalina, were asleep when the fire started.
Mariam said a good Samaritan driving by saw the fire, got out and woke them up.
"Somebody in a red truck actually stopped. Her name is Jessica. She actually called 911 for us, and she said that the house was burning," Mariam said.
When firefighters arrived, the flames were already through the roof. Mariam believes the fire may have started in their garage.
"It was a scary feeling," she said.
Houston firefighters were busy with multiple house fires Wednesday night.
In River Oaks, a home in the 2500 block of Stanmore Drive near Kirby caught fire.
HFD crews arrived to find flames coming from the roof. Three people were inside the home during the fire and were able to escape. Two fireplaces being used at the same time may have been the cause of the fire, according to HFD.
Back over in north Houston, Mariam said her family lost everything, including Christmas presents.
Despite the loss though, she says there's much more to be grateful for, such as the woman who stopped to get them out, and of course, their lives.
"I don't think the rest matters, you know. The house doesn't matter, the gifts don't matter. As long as were OK. Thats all that matters," Mariam said.
Follow TJ Parker on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Good Samaritan family from north Houston house fire