OLD BETHPAGE, NY -- A dramatic demonstration of just how quickly your home and everything inside could be destroyed by a fire.
**Click on video above to see how quickly flames can spread on a Christmas tree**
Nassau County Firefighters conducted the demonstration by lighting a Christmas tree on fire. It took just seconds for the tree to spark and within 3 minutes, the tree was fully engulfed.
RELATED: Keep your haul -- and yourself -- safe during holiday shopping
Firefighters have some important safety reminders.
Never put your tree near an exit or staircase.
Check your holiday lights. There shouldn't be any loose wiring and replace them if they are more than 3-5 years old.
Avoid using candles and extension cords. They are a big hazard this time of year.
RELATED: Simple ways to keep your home safe when away on holiday
It's also a good time to check your smoke detector to make sure it works.
Families should have an escape plan, with two ways to get out of a room.
Fire danger during the holiday season: see how fast your tree can catch fire
More TOP STORIES News