Salon Owner Rachel Gower says, "Most spices are antioxidants. That makes them anti-inflammatory. Many of them are anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, so they're great for your skin and your hair."
Here are some of her favorite spice recipes:
Turmeric is an orange Indian spice with the active ingredient, curcumin. It is an anti-fungal, antiseptic, and anti-bacterial. On our skin, it helps with hyperpigmentation and acne, and can help make our skin glow.
- 1 tablespoon grounded oatmeal (put in blender or food processor)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Coconut milk as needed of mask-like texture
- Mix ingredients and apply to face (wear gloves)
- Leave on for 15 minutes
- Remove with cool to tepid water. Hot water will activate spice.
- It can leave an orange residue on face, so massage coconut oil into face to help remove and treat skin.
Ginger smells invigorating and has anti-inflammatory properties to increase blood flow and give the skin a glow. It's especially good and reducing appearance of cellulite.
- cup ground rice (ground in food processor or blender)
- cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons shredded and chopped ginger
- Add a splash of coconut milk to give a scrub consistency
- Apply to body, scrub, and rinse.
CAYENNE SCALP TREATMENT
This hot spice increases circulation, which can help promote healthy, shiny hair.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (If you add more, continue with the two to one ratio of olive oil to cayenne)
- Mix and massage on scalp
- Leave on scalp for 15 minutes
- Rinse and then shampoo hair as normal
CINNAMON LIP PLUMPER
Cinnamon is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, it's a natural exfoliater, and it will also boost circulation, which makes it the perfect ingredient to plump our lips. Cinnamon also leaves a nice tint to the lips. Wet a cinnamon stick and rub on lips, or try this easy recipe.
- Take a cinnamon capsule from the health food store, puncture it with a pin, and squeeze out liquid
- Apply liquid from capsule to lips
- Use a tissue to rub off any residue
- Apply Vitamin E to make lips soft and smooth