One man, Sergio Zamora, was badly burned when his home exploded on Fifth Street in Hempstead last Thursday. Fortunately, Sergio is coming home from the hospital.
RELATED: Man burned in Christmas Eve home explosion in Hempstead
Last Sunday, HFD says a gas leak inside a home on Doulton Drive started a fire that led to an explosion. The blast was so strong that it lifted the house off its foundation. Everyone inside that home was able to get out in time.
SEE ALSO: Gas leak causes SE Houston house to explode, HPD says
"He had noticed the smell of gas outside his house," said Sergio's daughter, Karla Zamora.
She says her father had smelled gas prior to the explosion and called the city about it. She says city crews came out, but he could still smell gas. Sergio decided to stay somewhere else for the time being, but when he went to get some fresh clothes on Dec. 24, he opened his door and that's when his home exploded.
Karla said, "If he would've been inside that house, we probably wouldn't have found him."
House explosions can oftentimes be deadly. The city of Houston says if you smell gas, leave your home immediately. Don't use electric switches, phones or anything that could spark. Go to a safe location, call your gas company and 911.
Back in Hempstead, as Sergio recovers, his family wants answers.
"There's no more house, it's completely gone. My grandmother's house, she's 86 years old, there's no more house for her either," said Karla.
Follow TJ Parker on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.