HOUSTON (KTRK) -- When the temperatures soar, it's even more important to grab healthy snacks!
Whole Foods shared these recipes with us so that you can skip the $5 smoothie or the $2 bar and make these at home for a fraction of the cost.
Berry Almond Protein Smoothie
- 1/4 cup ice
- 8 oz strawberries, green stems removed
- 1 C 365 Everyday Value unsweetened almond milk
- 2 TBSP almond butter
- 2 TBSP flax seed
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth.
**Try this smoothie using a variety of different fruits. To boost the amount of protein in your smoothie try adding a plant based protein powder such as Whole Foods Market Plant-Based Fit Protein.
Raw Protein Energy Bites
- 3 TBSP 365 Everyday Value Course Ground Flax Seeds
- 1/4 C Shelled Hemp Seeds
- 3 TBSP Chia Seeds
- 1/2 C 365 Everyday Value Almond Butter
- 1 C 365 Everyday Value Rolled Oats
- 1/3 Cup Dates, Soaked
1. Place dates in a small bowl and add enough water to cover. Soak dates until they are soft, about 4-8 hours or overnight, then drain away the water.
2. In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix well.
3. Roll mixture into balls to make bite size snacks. To make bars, simply spread the mixture evenly onto a sheet tray.
4. Refrigerate the energy bites for at least 3 hours to allow them to fully set. Store under refrigeration.
**For extra sweetness try adding dried fruit such as cranberries or raisins. Experiment with by substituting almond butter for another kind of nut butter or by adding mixed variety nuts and seeds to the mixture.
Pack protein at home with these recipes
More TOP STORIES News