Autumn reminds me of cinnamon and apples and warm goodness, so I asked The Nutrition Mom, Stephanie Merchant, to come up with a quick five-ingredient dish to wow me...and you! Here is her simple baked apple recipe that I'm sure you'll love!
Breakfast Baked Apples
The perfect fall breakfast (snack or dessert).
- 4 large baking apples
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 Tbsp honey (optional - more for drizzle)
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp chopped pecans
- 1. Slice inch off top of each apple. With small end of melon baller or small spoon, scoop out inner core and seeds from inside of each apple (do not go all the way through apple). Arrange apples in a baking dish. Optional - add removed apple to oatmeal filling, keep for a snack or add to your smoothie.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine oatmeal and 1 1/2 cups water and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until creamy. Stir in honey and cinnamon and let cool slightly.
4. Spoon oatmeal into apples.
5. Bake until apples are soft and bubbly, approximately 35 minutes.
6. Top with chopped pecans and drizzle with honey.