Grand Champion grill master Randy Pauly says a few simple ingredients from the pantry can turn a bargain beef into a masterpiece.
For the rub recipe, he picked up four slices of cubed steak for under $6.
- 1/4 cup ancho chili powder
- 1/4 cup finely ground espresso
- 2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons chili de arbol powder
- 4 steaks on sale any cut
- Canola or olive oil
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Combine all spices in a bowl.
- Preheat a cast iron pan over high heat.
- Brush each side of the steak with oil and then season each side liberally with salt and pepper.
- Rub 2 tablespoons of the coffee rub onto one side of each steak.
- Cook the steak, rub side down until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip the steak over, cook for 3 minutes.
Coffee Fajita Marinade
- 1 pot brewed coffee (12 cups reduced to 8 cups nice and strong)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 whole limes juiced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Use a 3" deep pan
- Mix everything and stir
- Place skirt of flank steak in sauce at marinade at least 24 hours