It happens every year. There's always a hottest toy of the season, and some parents make an effort to get it for their little one. But what if you didn't have to worry about trying to fight your way through crowds to get that highly sought-after toy?
You might want to consider a non-toy gift. Former teacher turned play therapist and mother of four, Becky Mansfield, has a blog called Your Modern Family where she and other bloggers write about raising kids, organizing the home and saving money.
In a post shared more than 20,000 times, Mansfield wrote about non-toy Christmas gifts for the kiddos.
"I want our children to know that there is more to giving than just toys. I know that it is so fun for the kids to have new toys, but I don't want them to stop appreciating (or remembering) what they are even being given, because it is so routine for them," Mansfield wrote.
LIST OF NON-TOY GIFT IDEAS:
1. Make them a photo album of memories from the year
2. A blanket with a photo on it
3. Subscription boxes like Little PassPorts
4. $5 McDonalds gift card with new set of pajamas. You can then go out together and get ice cream in your pajamas with your kids.
5. Photo mug with pictures of the family
6. A personalized book
7. Membership to a local museum
8. A butterfly kit
9. Tickets to an event
10. A membership to Netflix
11. A gift certificate to get their ears pierced
12. Take them somewhere
13. Classes for whatever they are into. For example, a local gym, art studio, dance studio or soccer clinic.
14. Passes to an amusement park
15. A gift certificate for books
18. A monthly subscription to something like Kiwi Crate where they send projects for the kids to do
19. Gift cards to a movie and a few snacks to go with it
20. An umbrella
21. Kitchen tools
22. Recipe cards and ingredients
23. A sleeping bag and a coupon for a sleepover
24. Coupon books
25. A tea party
26. Sewing or cake-decorating kit
27. A "five senses toy"
28. Steve Spangler Science Club that will deliver a box of a science experiment they can do each month
29. A new bath towel
30. Dress up clothes
31. Mini Golf gift certificate
32. Craft supplies
34. Nail polish and play make-up
35. Temporary tattoos
36. Weighted blankets
37. A calendar full of fun events or things to do
38. Chick-Fil-A calendar
40. A book that was once your favorite as a child
41. Board games that kids will love
43. A movie for car rides or road trips
45. Room decor
46. Give your kids an opportunity to pick whatever they want to do for a day
47. Weekend family vacation
49. Paint your own pottery trip
50. Painting lessons
Consider giving the kids a non-toy gift for Christmas
More TOP STORIES News