The district announced Wednesday that all HISD students will receive three free meals per day for the 2017-2018 school year as part of the National School Lunch/Breakfast Program.
HISD is still asking all students to fill out a waiver application, which is available on mealapps.houstonisd.org. The information received in the forms helps the district to secure funding and track student data.
The waiver will take effect when the school year begins.
"This waiver will give our families one less concern as they begin the process of restoring their lives," said HISD Superintendent Richard Carranza. "It will also provide a sense of normalcy by allowing students to have access to up to three nutritious meals each and every school day."
Beginning Sept. 2, HISD will also serve meals free of charge to communities impacted by Hurricane Harvey:
Starting Saturday, Sept. 2 for lunch service:
- Almeda Elementary - 14226 Almeda School Rd., Houston, TX 77047
- Barbara Bush Elementary - 13800 Westerloch Dr., Houston TX 77077
- Carrillo Elementary - 960 S. Wayside Dr., Houston, TX 77023
- DeChaumes Elementary - 155 Cooper Rd. Houston, TX 77076
Starting on Sunday, Sept. 3 for breakfast:
- Shadydale Elementary - 5905 Tidwell Rd., Houston, TX 77028
- Deady Middle School - 2500 Broadway St, Houston, TX 77012
All others will be opened over the next few days:
- T.H. Rogers School - 5840 San Felipe St, Houston, TX 77057
- Elrod Elementary - 6323 Dumfries Dr., Houston, TX 77096
- Blackshear Elementary - 2900 Holman Street, Houston, TX 77004
Report a typo to the ABC13 staff