The average price for a gallon of regular unleaded in Houston on April 15 was $2.57, according to the price-tracking app GasBuddy. That compares favorably with the U.S. average price of $2.86, but represents a 12% jump since March 15, when drivers in Houston paid an average of $2.29 per gallon. It's also slightly higher than this date one year ago, when the average price at the pump in Houston was $2.51, while the national average was $2.73.
But if you're willing to drive, you can beat the average.
Stations around Houston with a combination of below-average prices and above-average ratings on GasBuddy include:
- In Northeast Houston, $2.32 per gallon of regular at Murphy USA, 5745 E. Sam Houston Parkway North and Wallisville Road. This verified station has a 3.7 rating out of 5 stars based on 79 ratings. Features include restrooms, a convenience store and propane, and GasBuddy user rick46508 wrote on April 2, "Only problem is that it is always too busy."
- In Northwest Houston, $2.34 at Costco, 12405 Gessner Road and Mills Road. The station is rated 4.5 based on 212 reviews. You must have a Costco membership to buy gas here. "Excellent Station with Top line Fuel," GasBuddy user eagle001 wrote on April 4.
- In West Houston, $2.35 at Sam's Club, 10488 Katy Freeway near Wisterwood Drive. This members-only station has a 4.5 rating based on 123 reviews.
- In Southwest Houston, $2.38 at Synott Food Mart, 3825 Synott Road and Ashford Point Drive. The 3-star-rated station, based on 15 reviews, offers a cash discount and includes a convenience store. User kingkongsouth wrote on Feb. 22, "Wow excellent service. The older gentleman is fantastic always happy to talk to you. Reminds me of home."
- In East Houston, $2.38 at Sam's Club, 13600 East Freeway and Haden Road. The station has a perfect 5-star rating, based on 40 reviews. It requires a membership.
- In Central Houston, $2.39 at Costco, 3836 Richmond Ave. near Weslayan Street. This membership-only station has a 4.5 rating, with 112 reviews.
Beware, though, if an advertised price seems a bit too good. The Valero station at Highway 105 and 146 South in La Porte reports a gallon of regular at $2.09, but GasBuddy user 98saturn wrote on the app today, "They don't have any gas. No point in reporting an unbelievable low price when they don't have any."