If you're looking for a bigger adventure, a travel agent may be the best way to find those deep discounts.
"Everyone wants fun and sun," says Rey Alton with Almeda Travel.
He says the most popular destinations right now are the Dominican Republic, Mexico and Jamaica.
"The long hours of working, trying to find the best flight, trying to find the best hotel - we're up on everything," he said.
Although you might be skeptical about giving someone money for something you could probably do yourself, it might actually save you some money and most travel agents allow you to pay for your vacation over several months.
"It's like putting your vacation on layaway," Rey says.
You can book your vacations as much as 330 days in advance, Rey says, and you only have to make a deposit up front starting at about $100 a person.
"We work with all price points so from a trip to Disney to a honeymoon to Tanzania," he said. "There are no fees that are included and we have easy payment plans and low deposits."
Fees normally start off at $25 and can go up depending on the complexity of the airline ticket. Most travel agents offer insurance that protects the price, so if the price goes down for any reason, you will get the lower price.
Some deals are exclusive to travel agents, but if you decide to go at it alone, Rey has some other money-saving tips:
- Fly on off peak travel days and times: avoid Friday, Saturday, Sundays and Mondays.
- Consider flying to an alternate airport, it may take you a little bit out of the way, but you will save money.
- Consider a cruise for huge savings - your food is included, and also the activities.
- Tour packages can save you money too because they include air and hotel and a tour guide. Rey says you get to see three times as much as if you did it on your own, and advanced purchases allow you skip line.
- Book early at hotels. A lot of hotels are offering special deals where they'll eliminate the resort fee, kids will stay free and eat free, and also free wifi.
- Utilize social media - if you can keep up with it, a lot of the providers are on Twitter and so if they have a special that's instant, you can pick it up on Twitter. Go to the provider's website and sign up for newsletters. That will put you updated weekly in regards to specials and also promotions that are happening.
With a little planning, that fun in the sun may not only be limited to your dreams!
For more from Almeda Travel, visit almedatravel.com.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices