The incident occurred around 12:30 Wednesday afternoon at the Richard Wright School, located in the 2700 block of Dauphin Street.
According to the school district, nine fifth grade students were in the lunch room when they attempted the Cinnamon Challenge - a dangerous Internet dare which involves swallowing a tablespoon of cinnamon in under a minute.
The challenge comes with some potentially harmful health effects, including chest pains, inflammation, and even scarring of the lungs.
Five of those nine students were taken to Saint Christopher's Hospital for observation after school officials called 911 and medics found that the students' vitals were questionable.
School officials are investigating the incident.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices