With only 64 percent of people keeping their resolution through the first month, it's important to have a plan and stick to it. That's why personal trainer Hillary Hagner has come up with a detailed calendar of different exercises you can do every day to reach your goal. [PRINT CALENDAR]
Today, we're showing you how to tone those smaller muscles.
Perform each exercise for 1 minute then repeat for a total of 3-5 sets.
1. Alternating Curtsy Lunges: Stand with feet together, both hands holding only one dumbbell. Step one foot behind the other, as if doing a curtsy bow to the Queen. Lean forward slightly aiming to get the dumbbell close to your shoe. Stand back up with feet together and repeat on the other leg.
2. Alternating Front/Side Lateral Raises: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Dumbbells in hand and by your side. With straight arms, lift the dumbbells out to your sides, trying to get them as high as your shoulders. Return the dumbbells back to your sides. Then, with straight arms, lift the dumbbells straight out in front of you. Return back down. Continuously repeat.
3. Jumping Jacks (30-60 sec)
4. Balanced Triceps: Get on all fours. Extend the right leg out. Lift the left arm off the ground close to waist in a "row" position. Keep elbow still, and extend forearm to work triceps. Do thirty seconds on one side, and then repeat on opposite side. Keep core tight on this one!
5. Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: Start standing with your feet hip-width apart and your knees slightly bent. Hold your dumbbells in front of you as if you were holding a bar, then bend over enough that your dumbbells drop 2-3 inches below your knee cap. Stand back up and squeeze your glutes at the top. Be mindful to have a very flat back as you drop forward!
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices