Classes canceled today at Claughton Middle School due to fire


The fire broke out in the kitchen of Claughton Middle School on Spears Road and Walters around 1am.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming out of the building. They made their way into the cafeteria and found hot dog buns inside a food warmer had caught fire.

Several appliances in the kitchen were damaged and smoke filled the entire school.

"Right now we have heavy smoke in the school itself. We are trying to ventilate the smoke in the school right now," said Deputy Chief Don Gilkey with the Little York Fire Department.

The fire marshal and health department decided the school should be closed today. Classes will resume tomorrow.

School officials say the fire appears to be accidental and caused by some sort of electrical issue. The health department will be looking into the damage here because food was involved.

Find Crystal on Facebook at ABC13CrystalKobza or on Twitter at @crystalkobza13

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

Copyright © 2023 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.