Car chase in northeast Houston ends with suspect's arrest


Police say the chase started just after 3pm, when an officer tried pulling over a gray-colored Pontiac SUV with paper plates for speeding on Almeda and West Airport, just south of the Texas Medical Center.

"School is about to start in a few days, and officers are being very vigilant about the traffic code this time of year. We've got the kids getting ready to go back," HPD Senior Officer M.T. Jackson said.

SkyEye HD caught up with the chase as several police cars were following the suspect toward the South Belt. Just before hitting the tollway, the suspect made a U-turn and got onto Highway 288 to head back north.

During a couple of instances, the suspect got into grassy medians to drive around several cars that had pulled over because of the chase.

He then exited the highway and headed down the feeder, passing downtown Houston. He hopped onto I-10 East, exited shortly after, then nearly crashed into a another vehicle at an intersection near Kress.

"He endangered not only the officers, himself, but everybody else on the road. And I mean everybody," Jackson said.

The suspect then turned onto various side streets, and even circled around one officer before entering a rail yard. HPD did not follow the suspect as he maneuvered in between the railroad tracks, but the agency had its helicopter overhead to follow.

The suspect eventually made his way out of the yard, where police were waiting for him. The suspect drove into a neighborhood but hit a dead end so he parked the car and took off running.

"They tased him, he ran from the other side of the train track," a witness names Jose said.

He was finally taken into custody outside a home off Glenarm and Shotwell.

Police say the suspect took off because he had outstanding traffic tickets and was driving with a suspended licence. He now faces a felony evading charge.

Union Pacific spokesperson Raquel Espinoza says a track siwtch used to move multiple rail cars from track to track was damaged during the chase, and they're still trying to determine whether anything else was damaged.

"It's very unusual, and fortunately no one was hurt," Espinoza said.

Stay with Eyewitness News for the latest details.

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

Copyright © 2022 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.