Man killed, deputy injured in west Harris Co.


It happened around noon Sunday on Shiloh Mist Lane near Fountain Arbor in west Harris County

Investigators say deputies shot and killed Kemal Yazar of Seabrook, a 43-year-old father of three who was reportedly acting increasingly violent.

Well past sundown, investigators looked for clues outside the Harris County home that might help them determine why a man who was visiting attacked or made threatening moves toward deputies. His young daughters -- all age 10 or younger -- had been in the house moments before the shooting.

Next door neighbor Pedro Munoz says the girls' aunt dropped them off at his house before deputies arrived. He realized something chaotic was going on when the aunt hurriedly left without explanation.

"Oh yeah. I still have the kids over here," Munoz said. "They're alright. They don't even know what is happening."

The call initially came into Cy-Fair EMS from Yazar's wife. She was reportedly worried because he was acting aggressively and irrationally, according to investigators. It's not clear if he had injured her.

When EMS officials responded, they were fearful for their own safety and backed out, calling HCSO for assistance.

Sheriff Adrian Garcia says deputies arrived and were confronted by Yazar, who wouldn't back down.

"We do know that our deputies did use their Tasers prior to using their firearms," Garcia said.

Deputy Pullen and another deputy used their Tasers on Yazar and then reportedly had to resort to lethal force, both opening fire inside the home.

"Our Tasers are a step-down weapon," Garcia said. "The fact that they had to resort to their firearms may indicate that they were rendered useless."

Yazar was shot by deputies and died a short time later at a nearby hospital.

Pullen was wounded in the confrontation. It's not clear whether he scuffled with the man before or after those Tasers had been fired.

The sheriff says Pullen was rendered unconscious or near unconscious during the attack. Investigators say Pullen and another deputy both opened fire as a last resort.

Pullen was treated at a local hospital for a concussion, cuts and bruises, but is expected to be OK.

It's unclear at this point what prompted Yazar's alleged violence.

Pullen and the other responding deputy have been placed on administrative leave, as is standard practice, while the case is investigated.

Copyright © 2022 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.