The Houston Fire Department was dispatched to an apartment in a strip center in the 14500 block of Main Street at Fondren at 12:46 this morning. Firefighters arrived on scene within four minutes and discovered a smoldering fire in the Main Stop Pharmacy.
Approximately 45 firefighters responded to the incident which was extinguished about 1:20am. Officials say the fire started in the back room and spread.
A business next door sustained smoke and water damage, but no one was hurt.
The fire caused heavy smoke damage throughout the strip center. The fire is still under investigation, but investigators believe it was likely an accident.