Agathe Bourgogne was walking her 5-year-old mixed-breed rescue dog Bella on Wednesday when Bella was stung 14 times in the face. The bees were apparently agitated by a lawn mower that had just passed over their hive in the underground water meter.
Bourgogne says she suffered at least seven bee stings trying to rescue Bella.
A spokesman at the City of Houston Public Works & Engineering Department says he walked the area Friday and located the swarm in the water meter, which was on property owned by Cambridge Glen Condos.
Property manager Candi Lacy, who says the dog's death broke her heart, had a pest control company remove the hive Friday.