16 caged dogs die in NY fire; heater may be cause

GREENBURGH, NY

Elmsford Fire Chief Richard Hoke says the fire Wednesday in Greenburgh killed 16 dogs in their cages. He says none survived. He says they probably died from smoke inhalation.

The chief says the 20-by-20 foot shed was destroyed. It was behind the residence of a man who breeds large Italian mastiffs of a breed known as the Cane Corso. It's not known if all the dead dogs were that breed.

Cane Corso puppies often sell for more than $1,000.

Greenburgh police Lt. Joseph Ryan says a preliminary report suggests the cause of the fire may have been a space heater, but the investigation continues.

Copyright © 2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.