The fire that gutted several apartments has been ruled arson. Shocked and sad residents say they're grateful. They say things could have been much worse if it hadn't been for their maintenance man who saved several lives.
Residents at the Westview Court apartments say they woke up at about 2am to the sound of someone yelling and knocking on doors. They then saw flames inside their units.
Some residents were unable to escape their apartments directly, due to the intense flames. That's when neighbors say the apartment maintenance man who had been desperately trying to wake up residents kicked in a door, broke windows with bricks, ran to grab ladders and helped screaming residents get out alive.
Eyewitness News caught up with Marcos Moo, who was back to work after the fire. Wu says he doesn't feel like a hero, but was doing what he felt he had to do.
"I was just doing my things, you know," Moo said.
"Marcos, you saved us," said one resident. "I just want to thank you. We will be forever grateful. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be here. Thank you. I can't thank you enough."
Six units have been destroyed and two others have suffered smoke and water damage. Arson investigators say this fire was intentionally set. It was started in an empty unit. So far, they have no suspects. They are following up on several leads.
No residents were hurt but one firefighter was injured when a step on the staircase gave way. We're told he has a minor knee injury and will be alright.