2 HPD officers shot, gunman dead after standoff

HOUSTON Police said it started around 5pm at the Greyhound bus station in the 2100 block of Main St. at W. Gray. The gunman tried passing through security and a worker notice noticed weapons and possibly drugs in his duffle bag, officials said.

Ofc. Fernando Meza was working off-duty security at the bus station. He tried to approach the man, and an argument ensued.

According to officials, Meza pulled out his TASER and fired. The suspect reached into his pants and pulled out a loaded semi-automatic weapon and began exchanging fire with Meza.

Investigators said a bullet hit Meza in the hand.

Witnesses told investigators the suspect was injured, suffering a bullet wound to the side. He began walking across the street to McDonalds where he fired shots at Ofc. Timothy Moore, who was on duty and responding to the original shooting call.

Moore was struck once in the leg, officials said.

The suspect then darted into a parking garage on Pierce at Fannin. SWAT officers surrounded the garage as the suspect barricaded himself inside. They descended upon the structure in a helicopter and assault vehicles, roaming up the levels in an armored car in search of the gunman.

The standoff lasted about two hours. They found the suspect dead at about 7pm with what they believe to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

The suspect's identity has not been released.

After the shootings, both officers were rushed to Memorial Hermann Hospital. Several fellow officers -- along with the police chief and the mayor -- went there as a sign of support.

Meza has been with HPD for 2 years. He is assigned to the Fondren Patrol. Moore is a 12-year veteran with HPD's South Central Patrol.

Both officers were released from the hospital Saturday night. HPD Chief Charles McClelland said they are "in good shape" and looking forward to getting back to work.

The whole ordeal -- since it was so spread out -- created a traffic mess Saturday.

Half of the Pierce Elevated was closed shortly after the shootings. Officials shut it down for more than an hour, so traffic was re-routed around downtown.

It also prompted METRO to re-route buses in the area.

Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for more information on this unfolding story as it becomes available.

Copyright © 2022 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.