Col. James Pohl, the investigating officer in the case, will recommend whether Hasan should go to trial on 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder for last November's attack at the Texas post. That decision ultimately will be made by Fort Hood's commanding general. Military officials haven't said if they'll seek the death penalty if the case goes to trial.
During Monday's three-minute court appearance, Pohl asked Hasan if he remembered that Pohl had told him he had the right to make a statement.
"Yes," Hasan replied softly.
Asked if he wished to make a statement, Hasan responded: "No." Hasan was paralyzed from the chest down after being shot that day by police and has been attending the hearing in a wheelchair. He remains jailed, as the military justice system does not have bail.
More than two dozen soldiers wounded in last year's shooting rampage at Fort Hood were among those who testified in October, describing in chilling detail the attack that killed 12 soldiers and one civilian. Then the hearing was delayed, in part because the defense didn't want it going on during the anniversary of the Nov. 5, 2009, rampage.
Lt. Col. Kris Poppe, speaking for Hasan's defense team, told Pohl they would not present evidence Monday. Military law experts say it's not an unusual step for defense attorneys at Article 32 hearings, which are held to determine whether charges should move forward in military court.
Dozens of witnesses have testified that a gunman wearing an Army combat uniform shouted "Allahu Akbar!" -- Arabic for "God is great!" -- and opened fire in a crowded medical building where deploying soldiers get vaccines and other tests. He fired rapidly, pausing only to reload, even shooting at some soldiers as they hid under desks and fled the building, according to witnesses.
When it was over, investigators found 146 shell casings on the floor, another 68 outside the building and 177 unused rounds of ammunition in the gunman's pockets.
Authorities and several witnesses identified the gunman as Hasan, an American-born Muslim who was to deploy to Afghanistan the following month.
Before the rampage, Hasan bought a laser-equipped semiautomatic handgun and repeatedly visited a firing range, where he honed his skills by shooting at the heads on silhouette targets, other witnesses said.
Along with testimony, the prosecution presented recordings of 911 calls from three frantic people inside the building, footage that Hasan recorded on his cell phone showing a gun store manager demonstrate how to use a gun, and brief dashboard-camera videos from two officers' patrol cars as they sped to the scene, parked and ran out. Those videos do not show the gunman.