Gabbert leads Missouri to 30-9 win over Aggies

COLLEGE STATION, TX Gabbert connected with Wes Kemp for touchdowns in the first and third quarters to help the Tigers (6-0, 2-0 Big 12) improve to 6-0 for the fifth time in school history.

Missouri's defense held quarterback Jerrod Johnson and Texas A&M's spread offense in check for most of the game, harassing him into a 7-for-21 first half. Texas A&M (3-3, 0-2) finally got going in the fourth quarter, with Johnson throwing a 26-yard touchdown pass to Jeff Fuller, but it was much too late to avoid a third straight loss.

Gabbert's third touchdown pass was a 20-yard strike to T.J. Moe that made it 30-3 in the third quarter. Moe finished with six receptions for 110 yards.

The Tigers got the ball in the second half after Johnson was sacked three times on Texas A&M's first possession after halftime. Gabbert hit Kemp for his second touchdown on a 10-yard pass that pushed Missouri's lead to 23-0.

Texas A&M had first-and-goal from the 10 after that, but the offense stalled again and the Aggies kicked a 24-yard field goal to make it 23-3. That score ended a streak of six straight shutout quarters for Missouri's defense after a 26-0 win over Colorado last week.

It was the first time since 1967 that Missouri had held conference opponents scoreless for six straight quarters.

Johnson finished 27 of 48 for 322 yards, but was just 15 of 31 for 141 yards entering the fourth quarter.

Texas A&M didn't turn the ball over this week after losing the ball nine times in the last two games to up its season total to 18, but the offense sputtered anyway.

The Aggies punted on their first six possessions as Johnson struggled through tough first half. Texas A&M finally got a drive going on their last possession of the first half. But it stalled at the Missouri 43 after three straight incompletions from Johnson, including one on fourth down where he badly overthrew his receiver.

That gave Missouri the ball back with about 1 1/2 minutes before halftime. The Tigers marched down the field and looked to have scored on a reception by Kemp, but the TD was taken away after a review giving them the ball at the 1. Texas A&M's defense held and Missouri settled for a 21-yard field goal and a 16-0 halftime lead. Kendial Lawrence pushed Missouri's lead to 13-0 when he scored from two yards out early in the second quarter. That score was set up by a 24-yard reception by Kemp.

Gabbert found Kemp on a 5-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter, but the extra point attempt was blocked so the Tigers led 6-0. It was the first time Missouri had an extra point attempt blocked since 2005.

Texas A&M left guard Evan Eike was injured early in the third quarter and carted off the field with a lower leg injury. It was unclear which leg was injured.

Copyright © 2022 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.