"As Americans, I believe it is our civic duty to celebrate the birth of our nation and reflect upon those brave men and women who have made great sacrifices for us to live in a free country," said Mayor Annise Parker. "I invite fellow Texans to join us in honoring our country, respecting the values of the founding fathers and instilling pride in our diverse community."
Headlining the evening's celebration on the Freedom Stage is Pat Green, an artist who has blazed his own trail and recorded a total of 10 studio albums. Fifteen of his singles have charted on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts, of which the highest-peaking is the #3 "Wave on Wave" from his gold-certified album. Green has toured with many popular country music artists including Keith Urban, Gretchen Wilson, Kenny Chesney, and many more. At this year's event, Green will be presented by the Texas Music Charts with an award recognizing him as the "Most Played Texas Artist" of the last decade.
When the concert comes to a close at 9:30 p.m., eyes will turn skyward for an extraordinary fireworks spectacular perfectly set to a selection of America's favorite tunes, from patriotic songs to rock 'n' roll hits to classic bestsellers. Shell Oil Company is the underwriter of the 2010 fireworks show for the fifth consecutive year, and with their contribution, the city's official fireworks show will enliven Houston's skyline. Producing the show will be world-renowned fireworks artists from Pyro Spectaculars North by Souza.
"For more than 80 years, Shell has been a strong supporter of the Houston community and our nation. As a country, we have much to celebrate, and we at Shell are thrilled to participate in the festivities this year," said Ben Dillion, Vice President Regional Coordination, Shell Oil Company.
In addition to this year's entertainment headliner, the festival will also spotlight a top-notch selection of local and regional music. Throughout the day, four stages will keep toes tapping with music ranging from country western and rock 'n' roll to Latin, R&B, and oldies.
Booth exhibits and family friendly patriotic activities will encompass Buffalo Bayou and Eleanor Tinsley Park:
- Encompassing more than three football fields in length, Liberty Park will showcase military artifacts and vehicles including representation from military branches and more. The branches and the Houston Police Department will offer recruiting on site.
- The U.S. Army will showcase an Apache Helicopter flight simulator and a 55-ton M-60 Battle Tank.
- The Museum of Printing History and the Military Museum of Houston will exhibit historical items that have helped shape our nation's history in this area.
- Cool off with a cold one at the Budweiser Beer Garden, and enjoy a prime view of the sixth annual Bud Light Texas Volleyball Championship Series Finals.
- Make a rest stop at the Bud Light Build-A-Bar, which will offer a shaded sitting area equipped with plasma TV screens. Also, don't miss a sneak peak of an event performer during their official Bud Light Sound Check.
- Be sure to stop by the Budweiser Good Sport's Booth and learn how you can save lives by being a designated driver.
- More than 30,000 square feet of free educational programming and entertainment await children.
- Houston Public Library's HPL Mobile Express computer lab, will teach child how to use a computer.
- Houston Fire Department's Smokehouse will teach kids the importance of fire safety.
- Historical costumed characters will talk with children about the documents that defined our government.
- Juno Baby will have sing-a-long activities for children and little aspiring stars are invited to perform in the Rising Stars Search contest for a chance to win an all-expense paid trip to San Francisco and be featured in the next Juno Baby production.
- Free games, rides, face painting and interactive activities will be open to children of all ages.
- Gexa Energy will be giving US Flag hand fans to the first 30,000 people who enter the gates. Booths will be setup for families to take fun photos with Shrek Musical characters, enter for a chance to win a trip for two to Hawaii or Cancun, and also for a chance to win a Home Theater System, which includes a Sony Bravia 40' LCD TV.
- Visit KBR's five primary beneficiaries on site: Career and Recovery Resources, Goodwill Industries, Houston Community College, Soldier's Angels and Wreaths Across America-Houston.
- The 2010 Land Rover models will be on display including the all new 2010 Land Rover LR4 and award winning Range Rover and Range Rover Sport.
Bud Light Zone
Walmart All American Kids Zone
Freedom Over Texas with Fireworks Presented by Shell will be simulcast on ABC-13/KTRK-TV from 7-10 p.m. on Sunday, July 4, and will be syndicated statewide from 8-10 p.m. In addition, KILT 100.3 FM will simulcast the music medley specially choreographed for the fireworks spectacular.
With the donation of one canned item per person to the Houston Food Bank, admission for the event is FREE. Without the donation, tickets will be $8 per person. Children two years and under will be admitted free. In keeping with last year's theme, Freedom Over Texas with Fireworks Presented by Shell will expand its offering of recycling receptacles, encouraging all patrons to recycle.
For more information, call 832-393-0868 or visit the Freedom Over Texas with Fireworks Presented by Shell Web site at www.freedomovertexas.org or www.houstonspecialevents.org.