South Texas ban on dogs at beach lifted

CORPUS CHRISTI, TX But, officials warned in a news release Tuesday, people bring their dogs to the park at their own risk because the animals could get sick or die from eating fish killed by toxic red tide algae.

A dozen coyotes died and six pet dogs either died or got sick after eating dead fish in early December, officials said.

A red tide bloom nearly disappeared but was detected mid-December by field testers with the Texas Department of Health Services, which monitor oyster beds for red tide contamination. Concentrations of the algae, which can cause respiratory symptoms in humans, were spotted throughout the Coastal Bend.

Copyright © 2023 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.