House fire turns tragic

HOUSTON Child Protective Services is looking into just who was caring for the children, while firefighters figure out what started the fire. The flames started Saturday night off east Ridgecreek in southwest Houston.

Charred remains are all that's left of the single story home that practically burned to the ground early Sunday morning. Trapped inside by the flames was two-year-old Brivon Curry, his six-year-old sister, Briona and their four-year-old half brother. Only she would survive. Bryant Curry is her father.

"She'll be alright," he told us. "One of the reasons she has swelling on her feet because she went and tried to save her brothers because her momma wasn't there."

Shaun Reynolds and David Webb claim they did all they could to try and save the children before firefighters finally rushed in and rescued them. Brivon and his four-year-old brother died at the hospital.

"It's just sad to hear them children," said Reynolds. "You don't know what that does, to hear those children."

Adding to what was an already difficult situation were tensions between a family member and firefighters. In the front yard, firefighters were greeted by a relative of the victims. Fire officials say he became belligerent and even threatened them with a gun.

"He threatened some firemen in the front yard, encouraging them to go in the house sooner, tried to go back in the house, and was restrained by some firemen," said Houston Fire Department District Chief Tommy Dowdy.

Witnesses say at one point, the relative, identified as the children's uncle, attacked a news photographer and fired three gunshots into the air. Police would later arrest him.

While arson investigators are trying to find out how and where the fire started, Curry is facing his own challenge.

"I don't know how I'm going to tell this to my little girl," he said. "I don't know how I'm going to tell this to her."

He'll have to tell her that the little brother she loved so much is gone.

"He's gone now," added Curry. "He didn't have a chance to do nothing."

The name of the four-year-old victim hasn't officially been released. As for the six-year-old girl who survived, she is in temporary CPS custody. CPS tells us a custody hearing for her will be held Monday.

As for the news photographer who was hurt while shooting the video of the fire, he did go to a hospital to be checked out. We're told he has injuries to his face and eye.

Find us on Facebook® | Follow us on Twitter | More social networking
ABC13 widget | Most popular stories | Street-level weather
ABC13 wireless | Slideshow archive | Help solve crimes

Copyright © 2022 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.