Chase ends when suspect jumps from garage

HOUSTON [WATCH IT: See the end of Monday's wild chase]
[PHOTOS: See mages from Monday's chase]

The chase started around 1pm in southwest Houston, and ended over an hour later in north Houston near Greenspoint Mall.

It went through two different counties, with the suspect was traveling at a high rate of speed. The suspect led police in both directions on the Southwest Freeway, going all the way down to Ft. Bend County before turning around and getting on the Beltway.

The driver exited the Beltway in north Harris County, made several U-turns and cut through parking lots. At some points during the pursuit, the driver even drove up on the sidewalk.

The suspect eventually ended up in the Greenspoint area and drove into a parking garage. He then tried to take off on foot. He made it up to the roof, where he was surrounded by officers.

Instead of surrendering, he jumped from the roof of that parking garage, which appeared to be more than a couple stories high.

"It was non-stop little circular race out here for a little while," said one witness with whom we spoke. "He came pretty close to a sign, came close to people at the bus stop over there. People had to jump out of the way."

"Myself, Precinct 4, Precinct 5, other west side units, they all tried to lay out their spike strips," said Sgt. Jose Mora with the Houston Police Department. "This person was driving extremely erratic. Fortunately, we were able to cordon off traffic, in coordination with other divisions."

Houston police say it all began as a west side tactical investigation. Right now, police don't have an identification on the suspect in the chase. As for his condition, we know he was complaining of pain in his leg, but we yet don't have his official condition.

Find us on Facebook® | Follow us on Twitter | More social networking
ABC13 widget | Most popular stories | Street-level weather
ABC13 wireless | Slideshow archive | Help solve crimes

Copyright © 2021 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.