Ike victims may get relief with taxes

January 27, 2009 8:26:42 AM PST
If you suffered damage from Hurricane Ike you may be able to get some help when you file your income taxes. [SIGN UP: Get headlines and breaking news sent to you]

Ike victims who have uninsured losses can claim them by using form 4684. In the past, there were limits to the amount you could claim. But those rules don't apply to damage caused by the hurricane.

"Some of the limitations that normally apply do not apply, for example, most casualty losses you can only deduct the amount in excess of 10 percent of adjusted gross income, however in Hurricane Ike losses that 10 percent limitation is waived," said an IRS agent.

      Headline check | 100 most recent local stories | News alerts
            Slideshow archive | ABC13 wireless | Help solve crimes