Christmas fire engulfs shelter in San Leon

SAN LEON, TX [SIGN UP: Get headlines and breaking news sent to you]

The fire Thursday gutted the two-story Omega Alpha House in San Leon, where Ike wiped out many homes and piers after coming ashore in nearby Galveston. No one was hurt in the blaze, but 14 shelter residents lost everything they own.

San Leon assistant fire chief Scott Lyons says a Christmas tree may have started the fire at the shelter, which offered drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs for women.

Dozens of San Leon residents gave up their holiday celebrations to provide food, clothing and temporary shelter to the residents, the Galveston County Daily News reported.

If you're interested in helping the shelter recover, donations can be sent to:

    Omega Alpha House
    P.O. Drawer D
    San Leon, Texas 77539

      Headline check | 100 most recent local stories | News alerts
            Slideshow archive | ABC13 wireless | Help solve crimes
Copyright © 2023 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.