The boy apparently got away from the stranger safely. The child's mother reported the incident to authorities Wednesday evening, after her son came home from school with a letter warning parents about a similar incident that took place on August 28.
The suspect in the incident from Tuesday was described as an Hispanic female. She was driving a faded red Toyota 4-Runner. The vehicle and suspect description matches the incident that occurred in the 3700 block of Hickory Lane on August 28.
Detectives from the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office - Major Crimes Unit and deputies with the Pct. 1 Constable's Office are working cooperatively investigating the incidents
Parents are urged to review safety rules with their children. The following tips were provided by the Montgomery County Sheriff's office.
SAFETY TIPS FOR PARENTS:
- Be sure to go over the rules with your children about whose homes they can visit when you're not there and discuss the boundaries of where they can and can't go in the neighborhood.
- Always listen to your children and keep the lines of communication open. Teach your children to get of out of dangerous or uncomfortable situations right away, and practice role-playing and basic safety skills with them.
- Teach your children in whose car they may ride. Children should be cautioned never to approach any vehicle, occupied or not, unless accompanied by a parent or trusted adult.
- Make sure children know their names, address, telephone numbers and how to use the telephone.
- Choose babysitters with care. Obtain references from family, friends and neighbors.
- Always check first with your parents or the person in charge before you go anywhere or do anything.
- Always take a friend when you play or go somewhere.
- Don't be tricked by adults who offer you special treats or gifts or ask you for help.
- Don't be afraid to say no and get away from any situation that makes you feel uncomfortable or confused. Trust your feelings.
- Don't get into a car or go near a car with someone in it unless you are with your parents or a trusted adult.
- Never take a ride from someone without checking first with your parents.
- Never go into a public restroom by yourself.
- Never go alone to the mall, movies, video arcades or parks.
- Stay safe when you're home alone by keeping the door locked. Do not open the door for or talk to anyone who stops by unless the person is a trusted family friend or relative.
Slideshow archive | ABC13 wireless | Help solve crimes