The group of 14-17 year-old were attending a cheerleading camp when they decided to stuff themselves into an elevator at Jester Residence Hall on the UT campus. The elevator went down to the first floor but then the doors of the overloaded elevator wouldn't open, officials said.
After a few panicked cell phone calls, police and firefighters were called to the scene and it took a repairman about 25 minutes to fix the door, police said.
UT officials didn't think the prank was all that funny.
"It's dangerous, actually," said UT police spokeswoman Rhonda Weldon. "They're lucky that that's all that happened."
Slideshow archive | ABC13 wireless | Headlines at a glance