Four arrested in killing from 2007

HOUSTON The fatal shooting happened on Village Way on November 11, 2007. The victim, Elvin D. Washington, 26, of Houston, suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at Ben Taub General Hospital.

According to police, Washington and a friend, later identified as Johnniel Ferguson, returned to Ferguson's apartment complex at 7120 Village Way and parked in front of a building. Lamarcus Ray Colar, armed with a pistol, and a juvenile suspect (who turned 17 in December) allegedly approached Washington and Ferguson, opened the driver's side door and demanded Washington's wallet. As Washington and Colar struggled, police say Colar shot Washington twice.

The juvenile suspect then reportedly pulled Ferguson from the vehicle and took Washington's wallet. Both the juvenile suspect and Colar ran back to the waiting vehicle, a white Pontiac Grand Prix allegedly driven by Johnee D. Stevens, and fled the scene. Washington drove his vehicle towards the entrance gate of the complex, exited the car and when a car approached the gate, got back into his vehicle. Washington then fled the complex and struck a tree. He was then transported to the hospital.

An investigation and witness statement identified Stevens as the driver of the Pontiac and, on Wednesday, May 14, he was arrested. Further investigation and evidence led to the identities of Ferguson, Colar and the juvenile as suspects in this case. On Monday, Ferguson was arrested at his residence without incident. The juvenile suspect turned himself in to Harris County Juvenile Probation Department authorities and Colar surrendered to police at 1200 Travis. Colar, Ferguson and Stevens are each charged with capital murder. The fourth suspect, 17, a juvenile at the time of the murder, has been referred to the Harris County Juvenile Probation Department authorities on the same charge.

- Back to Houston crime main page
- Headlines at a glance

Copyright © 2021 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.