- Stay inside, away from windows, skylights and glass doors.
- Keep supply of flashlights and extra batteries handy. Avoid open flames, such as candles and kerosene lamps, as a source of light.
- If power is lost, turn off major appliances to reduce power "surge" when electricity is restored.
- Listen constantly to a battery-operated radio or television for official instructions.
- If in a mobile home, check tiedowns and evacuate immediately.
- Store valuables and personal papers in waterproof containers on the highest level of your home.
*Beware the eye of the storm. Live power lines, rising water and unstable trees and structures continue to be threats despite the temporary calm.
*Once the all-clear is sounded, be wary of high water or power lines when driving. Report damaged water, sewer and electrical lines. At home, check for gas leaks and spoiled food or water.