Now, the Attorney General of Texas is taking three businesses to court over price gouging during Hurricane Harvey.
If convicted, they could face up to $20,000 in fines for each violation.
Here's a closer look at the businesses being sued by the state:
Robstown Enterprise Incorporated
- Worked with the Best Western Tropic Inn near Corpus Christi
- Accused of charging three times its normal room rate during Harvey
- The Best Western has since ended its relationship with the company
- Owners of Texaco gas stations in Dallas-Ft. Worth area
- Allegedly charged $6.99 a gallon for regular gas, even though their signs advertised $4
Encinal Fuel Stop
- A Chevron-branded gas station in Laredo
- Allegedly charged up to $9.99 a gallon for regular fuel
Report a typo to the ABC13 staff