The new system announced August 15 is different than the one we've grown used to, both in form and function, but it is nonetheless a way for the state to rate your children's schools and districts.
Yearly standardized testing now results not just in a grade for your student, but also for those who educate them.
The new ratings look like regular report cards in that they are now an A-F scale. An A equals 'exemplary,' a B 'recognized,' and a C is 'acceptable.' D means 'in need of improvement' and an F is 'unacceptable.'
The Texas Education Agency says there is no forced grade distribution, meaning in theory, every campus and district could receive an A. And the standards, unlike the past, won't be a moving goalpost. They'll stay the same for several years.
The grades are comprised of three components. One is your children's standardized test scores. A second is the school's academic progress. Together they make up 70 percent of the grade. The other 30 percent falls under a category called "closing the gaps."
To take a look at your school or district's ratings, visit the TEA's website.
The ABCs of the new school accountability system
More TOP STORIES News