5 children poisoned by chlorine gas during 'freak accident' at swim class

EMBED </>More Videos

A scary situation landed five children in the hospital after swim class. (John Minchillo/Invision for Solid & Striped/AP Images)

Five children were poisoned during a swimming lesson overnight after being exposed to chlorine gas.

A "freak accident" caused the gas to form over the pool around 7 p.m. Monday at the Calypso Tampa, according to officials.

All five children who were swimming at the time were taken to the hospital for nausea and vomiting.

Corey Dierdorff with Hillsborough County Fire Rescue said the owner claimed severe weather caused one of two breakers to trip at the business, stopping the water circulating pump.

"When everything kicked back on and that water started to circulate again, it caused those chemicals to have a chemical reaction releasing a small cloud of chemical gas," Dierdorff said.

A Hazmat unit was called to help ventilate and clear the building for people to go back inside.

All of the children are expected to be alright.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said chlorine gas poisoning can cause a variety of symptoms, including:
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • blurred vision, and
  • pulmonary edema, in extreme cases


Dry and secondary drowning: Hidden threats for swimmers
EMBED More News Videos

Learn more about dry drowning and secondary drowning.

Teen's death prompts warnings of electric shock drowning
EMBED More News Videos

Teen's electrocution shows dock danger. ABC News reports on June 18, 2017.

Report a typo to the ABC13 staff


Related Topics:
newschildren injuriespoisonswimmingu.s. & worldFlorida
(Copyright ©2017 ABC News Internet Ventures.)

Load Comments