• BREAKING NEWS WATCH LIVE: TV coverage of the 1992 LA Riots as it unfolded

1 child dead after 6 found unconscious from carbon-monoxide at Michigan hotel pool

EMBED </>More News Videos

Authorities say a carbon monoxide leak caused by a malfunctioning pool heater at a southwestern Michigan hotel.

Authorities say a carbon monoxide leak caused by a malfunctioning pool heater at a southwestern Michigan hotel has killed a child and sickened about a dozen other people, including seven other children and several police officers.

WNDU-TV and WSBT-TV report officials at Lakeland Hospital in Niles confirmed the child's death Saturday.

That child has been identified as 13-year-old Bryan Douglas Watts. Bryan was unable to recover.

A Niles City Officer and a Berrien County Deputy were also treated for overexposure to carbon monoxide and were later released from the hospital. Other officers were evaluated as a precaution. At this time the hotel has been closed for occupancy while the investigation continues.

Quality Inn & Suites employees called 911 around 10 a.m. after seeing six unresponsive children on the pool deck.

Niles Fire Capt. Don Wise says a high level of carbon monoxide was detected in the pool area and lower levels were found in other parts of the hotel.

MLive.com reports Wise said the carbon monoxide buildup was caused by the pool heater.

Three police officers and two hotel employees also were hospitalized.

ABC News contributed to this report.

Report a typo to the ABC13 staff

Related Topics:
newschild deathpoolMichigan
(Copyright ©2017 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments